Squadron Motto: “Preux et Audacieux” (Valiant and Brave)
22 Squadron was formed in the Royal Flying Corps at Gosport on 1st September 1915, and earned a plethora of Battle Honours during both World Wars.
B Flight of 22 Squadron moved into Wattisham in 1994, operating the familiar bright yellow Sea King HAR3s in the Search and Rescue role. The squadron occupied a newly built hangar situated where the old Q-sheds once stood.
New built and improved Sea King HAR3A versions soon replaced the older helicopters, featuring a useful “Auto-hover” facility.
Eventually, the Search and Rescue role was passed to HM Coastguard, and the 22 Sqn B Flight’s Sea Kings finally departed Wattisham in August 2015.